The Billingsgate Gossip
29th October 2012
Women in Work Funding
A small amount of funding has become available for women employed in the food industry to undertake food related training.
Up to £800 of funding per person can be available subject to some eligibility criteria and is on a first come first served basis. Demand for this funding will easily outstrip supply so we expect this funding to be allocated within the next week, or possibly two weeks.
Seafish may (to be confirmed) put forward a submission on behalf of our partners in the Seafood Training Academy and key members of our training provider network for a limited range of programmes. Other programmes may be eligible so please contact my colleague Lee Cooper on 01482 486482 if you have any questions.
The programmes we wish to target are mostly at Level 3 and are aimed at team leader level and above. They are:
• Women into Fishmongering workshop, 2 days duration, delivered by Billingsgate Seafood Training School;
• A range of fish frying and related training programmes delivered by the National Federation of Fish Friers;
• Advanced Fish Quality Assessment, 5 day training programme delivered by Seafish at HSI Grimsby;
• Intermediate Food Hygiene by eLearning – a 20hr equivalent training programme available throughout the UK;
• Another type of training – provided it is of benefit to the seafood industry, we'll consider it.
Funding cannot be used for travel or related costs, only for the cost of delivering the training. All training must be completed by February 2013.
Funding can only be ring fenced for named individuals and is first come first served. This means there is only a short window of opportunity to identify individuals and to secure the funding to support their training.
To secure funding we need names of individuals who want to complete the training, so please contact Lee Cooper (Seafish) on 01482 486482 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
29th October 2012
NFF News - October 2012
Current NFF members will now have received this month's edition of the NFF news, if you have not received your copy yet please contact us - this months articles include;
• BRITISH FISH CRAFT CHAMPION 2012
• CARDIFF HARBOUR FESTIVAL
• WORKPLACE PENSION LAW
• THE FISHMONGERS' & POULTERERS INSTITUTION
• KEN WATMOUGH TALKS MACKEREL
• HUMBER SEAFOOD INSTITUTE
• BRITISH FISH CRAFT CHAMPIONSHIPS® HALL OF FAME
• A SHARKS TALE
27th October 2012
On the 14th October NFF President Mr Gary Hooper & his wife were invited to attended the annual Harvest Festival at St Mary at Hill, along with Mr Charlie Caisey and Mr George Hooper. The president conducted a reading from The Gospel according to St John, Chapter 21, verses 1 to 13.
The service was a great success and was supported not only by The National Federation of Fishmongers but also:
Billingsgate Ward Club
The Master of the Worshipful Company of Fuellers
The Worshipful Company of Water Conservators
Clyde and Company
Canary Wharf Contractors Ltd